Aug 29, 2012

Green Theism - Why Religion and Environmentalism Need to Work Together

When it comes to the environment, people are usually split between putting humanity first, or putting nature first. Is it too much to ask for a balance? Maybe extending compassion towards all?

Due to theological differences, this may be difficult. For example, some within the Abrahamic traditions follow that humanity is special, created by the divine not only in “his” image, but also in a place of dominion over the rest of “his” creation. Some go further and purport that “only” humanity has an eternal soul capable of eternal life. Of course this would lead us to the belief that we are on a pedestal. It's easy to see how the story of Genesis could be used as fuel for humanity's ego.

Now take the other stance, one of hardcore environmentalism. Most who believe in this view hold that Nature is on a pedestal and that humanity is it's disease. They go even further to suggest that the rise of the agricultural and industrial ages have slowly been the doom of this planet.

While this might seem humbling at first, it denies the fact that we are a part of this existence as well. It denies the amazing advances we have made in scientific research, without which we would be unable to even have this discussion let alone think about this subject. It also denies compassion because selective compassion is not compassion; it's prejudice.

Because of this, I suggest compassion for the sake of compassion. Because whether or not you believe it... if the Earth was a barren wasteland, guess what, you wouldn't exist. I ask that people love; not selectively, not conditionally... fully and exuberantly!  This is why religion and environmentalism need to work together.  They are not, and should not be treated as mutually exclusive.  Science needs to show the systematic and logical "Whys and Hows" to protecting the environment... Religion needs to show the moral and charitable "Whys and Hows".

I'm often reminded of St. Francis of Assisi walking barefoot around his home, preaching to the birds, living a life of simplicity, and loving to his full capacity. I'm reminded of St. Teresa of Calcutta (Mother Teresa) extending compassion and love to all suffering people, no matter what their condition.

When I take off my shoes, I am reminding myself of where I am. I am reminding myself to pay attention. To open my eyes, my heart, and my mindfulness. To let peace be my vehicle. To let love be my speech. To let open arms be my stance on every issue.

0 comments: